Library of Congress has published a table that highlights some changes to RDA for the April 2015 RDA Toolkit update:
The Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC) Standing Committee on Training (SCT) published a training manual for applying relationship designators in bibliographic records in January 2015. See http://www.loc.gov/aba/pcc/sct/documents/rel-desig-guide-bib.pdf.
New relationship designators may be proposed using the PCC relationship designator proposal form. See http://www.loc.gov/aba/pcc/scs/RD-Requests.html.
Please use MOUG-L to discuss ideas for new or revised relationship designators, or contact any of the following people:
Kathy Glennan, ALA representative to the Joint Steering Committee
Beth Iseminger, Chair of MLA Cataloging and Metadata Committee
Tracey Snyder, Chair of MLA Content Standards Subcommittee
The April 14, 2015 update of the RDA Toolkit brought revisions to several RDA instructions that affect music cataloging. The revisions resulting from the work of ALA and the JSC Music Working Group are listed below. Stay tuned for possible revisions to MLA’s Best Practices (in the August 2015 Toolkit update) as a result of these changes.
As a result of numbering changes and other structural changes associated with these revisions in RDA, several areas in MLA’s Best Practices will be out of sync with RDA until the August 2015 Toolkit update. These are also listed below.
ALA/32: MLA and OLAC successfully advocated for expanding the scope of the statement of responsibility element in RDA Chapter 2. http://www.rda-jsc.org/docs/6JSC-ALA-32-Sec-final-rev-3.pdf
ALA/36: MLA and OLAC successfully advocated for greater clarity in the instructions for recording duration in RDA Chapter 7. http://www.rda-jsc.org/docs/6JSC-ALA-36-rev-Sec-final-rev.pdf
ALA/29 (on “not identified” elements in distribution and manufacture statements): Changes were made to the core element status of several elements in RDA 2.7-2.10, thus bringing an end to what has become known among practitioners as the “cascading vortex of horror.” http://www.rda-jsc.org/docs/6JSC-ALA-29-rev-Sec-final-rev.pdf
MusicWG/4: Revisions to instructions for creating Access Points for Musical Expressions in 6.28.3. This proposal sought to liberalize and rationalize the creation of access points for expressions. http://www.rda-jsc.org/docs/6JSC-MusicWG-4-rev-Sec-final-rev.pdf
MusicWG/5: Revisions to instructions for recording the information for scores and parts bound together in a single physical unit in RDA 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11. http://www.rda-jsc.org/docs/6JSC-MusicWG-5-rev-2-Sec-final.pdf
MusicWG/6: Revisions and reorganization of 6.14, Preferred Titles for Musical Works. The intent of the proposal was to make the process of determining a preferred title for musical works easier to comprehend. http://www.rda-jsc.org/docs/6JSC-MusicWG-6-rev-Sec-final-rev.pdf
MusicWG/7: Abbreviations for the word “number” in part titles. The proposal codified in RDA the current and historical practice of abbreviating “number” or its equivalent in another language, or adding “number” or its equivalent to an unadorned number. http://www.rda-jsc.org/docs/6JSC-MusicWG-7-rev-Sec-final-rev.pdf
MusicWG/8: Revisions to Conventional Collective Titles in 18.104.22.168 and Glossary definitions for Conventional Collective Titles. The proposal removed the closed lists of terms for conventional collective titles and removed the Glossary definitions for these terms. http://www.rda-jsc.org/docs/6JSC-MusicWG-8-rev-Sec-final-rev-2.pdf
MusicWG/9: Additional terms for Base Material and Applied Material in 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199. The proposal added terms and definitions that would cover more of the physical characteristics of sound recordings. This proposal was folded into BL/16 which also revised these instructions. http://www.rda-jsc.org/docs/6JSC-BL-16-Sec-final.pdf
Numbering/Linking/Captioning Changes Resulting from April Toolkit Update:
- BP 0.2 should now be BP 0.3. Link is needed in RDA 0.3 to what would be BP 0.3.
- BP 5.3 should now be BP 0.6.6. The link in the BP instruction text should be to LC-PCC PS 0.6.6.
- BP 188.8.131.52 should now be BP 184.108.40.206.1. The caption should change to “Omissions.”
- BP 220.127.116.11 should now be BP 18.104.22.168.2.
- BP 22.214.171.124.1 should now be BP 126.96.36.199.2.1.
- BP 188.8.131.52.4 should now be BP 184.108.40.206.2. The caption should change to “Complete Works for One Broad or Specific Medium.”
- BP 220.127.116.11.5 should now be BP 18.104.22.168.3. The caption should change to “Complete Works of a Single Type of Composition for One Specific Medium or Various Media.”
- BP 22.214.171.124.6 should now be BP 126.96.36.199.4.
- BP 188.8.131.52 caption should change to “Recording Duration.”
- BP 184.108.40.206 should now be BP 220.127.116.11. The caption should change to “Duration of Component Parts.”
Deletes Needed Resulting from April Toolkit Update:
- BP 18.104.22.168.3 should be ignored, as the corresponding RDA instruction no longer exists.
- BP 22.214.171.124 should be ignored, as the corresponding RDA instruction no longer exists.
- BP 126.96.36.199 should be ignored.