While changes to the music RDA best practices have been regularly reported here, music-specific changes to RDA itself have not been systematically reported. We hope to do more of that!
LC provides summaries of RDA changes on its RDA information page (https://www.loc.gov/aba/rda/index.html). Links to the summaries of the annual RDA update changes and summaries of changes to the LC-PCC Policy Statements will be found there. The most current version of the policy statements may be accessed via the RDA Toolkit (http://access.rdatoolkit.org/then click on the “Resources” tab) – no subscription is required.
This brief summary of music-specific changes to RDA is based in part on a presentation given by Kathy Glennan at the recent BIBCO Operations Committee meeting (https://www.loc.gov/aba/pcc/documents/OpCo-2016/RDA-Changes-through-April%202016.pdf)
In all, the April Toolkit update included 71 fast track additions or changes and 190 changes to RDA. Music-related changes include:
- Added terms for production method (RDA 220.127.116.11): Terms now emphasize the method rather than the end product. The terms “burning,” “printing,” and “stamping” (optical discs) have been added.
- Reworked instructions relating to number of musical works (RDA 6.16): More specific information is provided about recording numeric designations and captions.
- Reworked instruction relating to AAPs for musical works (RDA 6.28, 6.29): guidance is provided for using “Selections” when applicable (RDA 18.104.22.168; 22.214.171.124.4); as a result, RDA 126.96.36.199 has been deleted. The two lists for additions to AAPs in RDA 188.8.131.52 have now been consolidated; as a result, RDA 184.108.40.206.1 has been deleted.
- Musical works with generic titles (RDA 220.127.116.11.2.1 & RDA 18.104.22.168.2.2): Though new alternatives have been added for the choice the language of the preferred title term and the use of singular/plural, the policy statements retain previous practices with regards to using English and when to use singular and plural – so there’s no change in practice for most users of LC-PCC PS and the MLA Best Practices.
- Musical works with parts that are both numbered and titled: Both pieces of information are now recorded as part of the preferred title (RDA 22.214.171.124.1.3)
- Definitions for the production methods “burning,” “printing,” and “stamping” have been added.