The MLA Cataloging and Metadata Committee invites all interested persons to apply to be part of its subcommittees. There are open positions on all CMC subcommittees: Content Standards, Encoding Standards, and Vocabularies.
If you are interested in being a part of CMC, please send a brief application addressed to the CMC chair or any of the current subcommittee chairs. Applications must be in writing and should state: 1) your specific interest with regards to the subcommittee(s) to which you would like to apply; 2) your cataloging/metadata background; and 3) your abilities to meet CMC service expectations. Applications must be received via email or posted to the bulletin board at the MLA conference by end of day on the Thursday (not the usual Friday this year) of MLA. (Email is preferable, and early submission is very helpful.)
CMC Chair: Tracey Snyder (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Content Standards Subcommittee: Mary Huismann (email@example.com)
Encoding Standards Subcommittee: James Soe Nyun (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Vocabularies Subcommittee: Casey Mullin (email@example.com)
(All are linked from the CMC Contact page.)
Requirements for CMC subcommittee membership include the following. Requirements are also listed in the CMC handbook, available on the Groups page of the CMC website.
– Member-in-good-standing of MLA national
– Attendance at MLA Annual Meeting to the best of one’s ability
– Active participation throughout the year in subcommittee work via email and other web-based tools
– Specific professional interest in subcommittee business and a particular skill, area of expertise, or perspective to contribute to subcommittee deliberations
Subcommittee members are encouraged to do the following subcommittee work:
– Participate in group discussions, both in person and in electronic forums, drawing on personal experience, skills, and knowledge
– Take assignments seriously and complete them in a timely fashion
– Provide feedback on documentation and proposals and respond to requests for comments
You may find out more about the subcommittees’ work by attending subcommittee business meetings at the MLA conference or speaking to the chairs in person. Committee and subcommittee business meetings are open to all and will take place on the Thursday and Friday of MLA this year. Descriptions of the subcommittees are available at the following links:
Content Standards Subcommittee: http://www.musiclibraryassoc.org/page/cmc_content
Encoding Standards Subcommittee: http://www.musiclibraryassoc.org/page/cmc_encoding
Vocabularies Subcommittee: http://www.musiclibraryassoc.org/page/cmc_vocab
(All are linked from the CMC Groups page.)
You may also learn more about us by checking out the FAQ, YouTube channel, and Blog at the CMC website. Also consider attending the Cataloging and Metadata Town Hall and any other program sessions related to cataloging, Linked Data, etc. on the program at MLA 2018.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Chair, Cataloging and Metadata Committee, Music Library Association