The MLA Cataloging and Metadata Committee invites all interested persons to apply to be part of the subcommittees of the Cataloging and Metadata Committee. There are open positions on all subcommittees: Content Standards, Encoding Standards, and Vocabularies.
If you are interested in being a part of CMC, please send a brief application addressed to the CMC chair or any of the current subcommittee chairs. Applications must be in writing and should state: 1) your specific interest with regards to the subcommittee(s) to which you would like to apply; 2) your cataloging/metadata background; and 3) your abilities to meet CMC service expectations. Applications must be received via email or posted to the bulletin board at the MLA conference by end of day on the Friday of MLA. (Email is preferable, and early submission is very helpful.) Contact information is available on the CMC website.
CMC Chair: Tracey Snyder
Content Standards Subcommittee: Mary Huismann
Encoding Standards Subcommittee: James Soe Nyun
Vocabularies Subcommittee: Casey Mullin
Requirements for CMC subcommittee membership include the following. Requirements are also listed in the CMC handbook, available on the Groups page of the CMC website.
– Member-in-good-standing of MLA national
– Attendance at MLA Annual Meeting to the best of one’s ability
– Active participation throughout the year in subcommittee work via email and other web-based tools
– Specific professional interest in subcommittee business and a particular skill, area of expertise, or perspective to contribute to subcommittee deliberations
Subcommittee members are encouraged to do the following subcommittee work:
– Participate in group discussions, both in person and in electronic forums, drawing on personal experience, skills, and knowledge
– Take assignments seriously and complete them in a timely fashion
– Provide feedback on documentation and proposals and respond to requests for comments
You may find out more about the subcommittees’ work by attending subcommittee business meetings at the MLA conference or speaking to the chairs in person. Committee and subcommittee business meetings are open to all. Descriptions of the subcommittees are available on the CMC website.
Read about us in the Music Library Association Newsletter:
Watch our screencasts on YouTube to learn more about our work:
If you are a member of MLA (or are thinking about it) and have an interest in the work of our groups, please consider applying!