RESULTS

SAC: ALA Annual Report 2019

Vocabularies Subcommittee Report: ALA Annual 2019 Washington, DC, June 21-24, 2019 Reported by Rebecca Belford (Oberlin College & Conservatory), Chair, Vocabularies Subcommittee Reports from: Competencies and Education for a Career in Cataloging Interest Group (CaMMS) Cataloging Norms Interest Group (CaMMS) Faceted Subject Access Interest Group (CaMMS) Subject Analysis Committee Meetings SAC Presentation SAC Subcommittee on Faceted Vocabularies Competencies and Education for a Career in Cataloging Interest Group (CaMMS) The interest group program was held on Friday, June 21, 2019. The session theme was “Practical Linked Data in the Classroom,” presented by T​ina Shrader (National Library of Medicine) and Paul Frank (Library of Congress). Paul Frank opened the session on a positive note, first with a prediction that if we adopt linked data in cataloging we will be viable as a profession, followed by a suggestion that we do not need to fully understand linked data before applying it and learning

Read More »

Encoding Standards: ALA Annual Report 2019

ALA Annual Conference 2019, Washington, D.C. Report by Karen Peters (Library of Congress), Chair, Encoding Standards Subcommittee MARC Advisory Committee Meetings (June 22 and 23) Over the course of two meetings, the MARC Advisory Committee (MAC) considered three Proposals–all derived from Discussion Papers presented at the Midwinter Meeting last January–and two Discussion Papers. All three of the Proposals passed. The first Discussion Paper will be fast-tracked, while the second will be coming back as a Proposal at the Midwinter Meeting next January. Besides these five items, there was an issue involving one of Proposals approved at the last Midwinter Meeting to be dealt with. MARC Proposal No. 2019-01​: ​Designating Open Access and License Information for Remote Online Resources in the MARC 21 Formats. While MAC approved this Proposal at its 2019 Midwinter Meeting, the Proposal was not fully implemented due to issues involving the 856 (Electronic Location and Access) field.

Read More »

Content Standards (including CC:DA): ALA Annual Report 2019

Washington, DC, June 21-24, 2019 Reports from: OLAC Cataloging Policy Committee (CAPC) RDA Pre-Conference RDA Update Forum Bibliographic Conceptual Models Interest Group ALCTS Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access (CC:DA) ALCTS/LITA Authority Control Interest Group (ACIG) Reported by: Mary Huismann (St. Olaf College), Chair, Content Standards Subcommittee OLAC Cataloging Policy Committee (CAPC) The OLAC CAPC meeting was held on Friday, June 21, 2019. The majority of the meeting was devoted to liaison and task force reports; since these reports will be published in the September issue of the ​OLAC Newsletter​ only selected highlights appear in this report. The 2020 OLAC Conference, celebrating OLAC’s 40th anniversary, will be held in Columbus, Ohio, October 14-17, 2020. The conference host is OCLC, and most meeting sessions will be held at OCLC. The Nancy B. Olson Award was presented at the Membership meeting to Bruce Evans. Congratulations, Bruce! ALCTS Committee on Cataloging: Description and

Read More »

Encoding Standards: ALA Annual Report 2018

Notes on Meetings at ALA Annual, New Orleans, 2018 with a Focus on MARC and Other Encoding Standards, and Linked Data (Plus a Couple Other Meetings of More General Interest) Submitted July 12, 2018, by Jim Soe Nyun, Chair, Encoding Standards Subcommittee MARC Advisory Committee I Session 1: 6/23/18 Sessions 2-3: 6/24/18 Meeting agenda with links to papers: ​https://www.loc.gov/marc/mac/2018/2018-02.html Announcements of latest fast-track changes: Added $4 to 730 $r redefined in Field 382 (MLA request) Proposal No. 2018-02: Subfield Coding in Field 041 for Accessibility in the MARC 21 Bibliographic Format Amended to clarify wording of new subfields $p and $r, passed unanimously Proposal No. 2018-03: Defining New Fields to Record Accessibility Content in the MARC 21 BibliographicFormat Amended to drop $0 and $1 as there was not a direct use case that people could see; added $8 to both fields; revised wording of the field’s scope and for indicator

Read More »

SAC: ALA Annual Report 2018

New Orleans, LA, June 22-25, 2018 Reports from ALCTS CaMMS Subject Analysis Committee (SAC) Business Meetings SAC Presentation SAC Subcommittee on Faceted Vocabularies ALCTS CaMMS Faceted Vocabularies Interest Group Cataloging Norms Interest Group ALCTS CaMMS Heads of Cataloging Departments Interest Group OCLC Research Update LITA Top Technology Trends Reported by: Rebecca Belford (Oberlin College), Chair, MLA CMC Vocabularies Subcommittee ALCTS CaMMS Subject Analysis Committee (SAC) Business Meetings June 24 and 25, 2018 In addition to formal member and liaison updates, the two-part SAC business meeting included a few new business items and updates. The SAC RDA Subcommittee was formally disbanded, based on the announcement by the RDA Steering Committee (RSA) that RDA will not address subjects, as was originally planned. The PCC will revive the practice of having a designated person report from the SACO/PCC at large meeting to SAC. It was decided that the liaison should be from the

Read More »

Content Standards (including CC:DA): ALA Annual Report 2018

New Orleans, LA, June 22-25, 2018 Reports from: OLAC Cataloging Policy Committee (CAPC)​, OLAC Membership Meeting​, RDA Pre-Conference​, ​RDA Update Forum​ & ​RDA Linked Data Forum ALCTS Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access (CC:DA) ALCTS/LITA Authority Control Interest Group (ACIG) Reported by: Mary Huismann (St. Olaf College), Chair, Content Standards Subcommittee OLAC Cataloging Policy Committee (CAPC) The OLAC CAPC meeting was held on Friday, June 22, 2018. The major part of the meeting was devoted to liaison and task force reports. Only selected highlights have been reported here—see the full CAPC meeting minutes normally published in the September ​OLAC Newsletter: Several changes to the CAPC membership were announced. Jessica Schomberg will become chair following this meeting. CC:DA liaison Kelley McGrath reported on the newly issued RDA Toolkit beta version.She anticipates much work for CAPC because of the great amount of options in the text.Kelley suggested that OLAC take an active

Read More »

SAC: ALA Annual Report 2017

ALA ANNUAL CONFERENCE REPORT Chicago, IL, June 22-27, 2017 Reports from: ALCTS-CAMMS Subject Analysis Committee (SAC) SAC Subcommittee on Genre/Form Implementation (SGFI) Faceted Subject Access Interest Group (Selected for interest to MLA)   Subject Analysis Committee Presentation: Robert Maxwell (Brigham Young University), Adam Schiff (University of Washington). “Subjects in Authority Records: Looking Towards a Linked Data Future” Maxwell and Schiff explored an expanded conception of the function of authority records that describe works (including so-called “name-title records”). Whereas in legacy practice authority records have been intended primarily to record the decision about the form of the authorized access point (or heading) and not much else, FRBR and thence RDA has introduced the idea of creating an entire description of an entity, including expressing relationships to related entities as machine-actionable links. To wit, RDA Chapter 23 and Appendix M, which are recent additions to the content standard, prescribe the expressing of

Read More »

Encoding Standards: Summary of Decisions Made at the MARC Advisory Committee Meetings: ALA 2017

Summary of Decisions Made at the MARC Advisory Committee Meetings at ALA Annual, June 24-25. This summary also includes the MLA comments that were submitted to the MARC-L list in advance of the meeting. Proposal 2017-08: Use of Subfields $0 and $1 to Capture Uniform Resource Identifiers (URIs) in the MARC 21 Formats MLA comments: We support the proposal but would want it to specify in Proposed Changes that the new subfield $1 would be repeatable. MAC: Confirmed that the field should be repeatable. Discussion included whether fundamentally MARC was the best place for the RWO information, or at least whether an authority record was the best place for this information. Linked data workflows don’t necessary acknowledge “authority files” as the library world uses them. Mixed comments about the economics of supplying RWOs at all, system issues. In the end supported on the likelihood that $1 could see some use.

Read More »

Encoding Standards: ALA Annual Report 2017

Report of Meetings of Interest Pertaining to Encoding Standards at the Annual Meeting of the American Library Association, Chicago, 2017 Prepared by Jim Soe Nyun for the Music Library Association Cataloging and Metadata Committee OLAC Cataloging and Policy Committee Friday June 23 7:30-9:30 Introductions… Kelly McGraff reported that because of the 3R project RDA development is frozen. Pay attention to IFLA LRM. Meeting Monday with RSC to hear about lacunae. Cate Gerhart: Report on what MAC will be doing. Mentions ISO 3166 (UN list) has a countries list, some without official cred, and they have a disclaimer there. Mentioned proposal for accessibility metadata that was coauthored by OLAC and CCM (Canadian Committee of Metadata Exchange). Mentioned 007 proposal for maps, another attempt to tie up some remnants from format integration. Raised issue about why maps are different from the multi-007 situation for other materials. Janice Young report. Cleaned up 60Kish

Read More »

Content Standards (including CC:DA): ALA Annual Report 2017

ALA ANNUAL CONFERENCE REPORT Chicago, IL, June 23-26, 2017 Reports from: OLAC Cataloging Policy Committee (CAPC) OLAC Membership Meeting RDA Forum & RDA Linked Data Forum RDA “Pop-Up” Meeting with Cataloging Specialists ALCTS Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access (CC:DA) ALCTS/LITA Authority Control Interest Group (ACIG) Reported by: Mary Huismann (St. Olaf College), Chair, Content Standards Subcommittee OLAC Cataloging Policy Committee (CAPC) The OLAC CAPC meeting was held on Friday, June 23, 2017. The major part of the meeting was devoted to liaison and task force reports; only selected highlights are reported here—see the full CAPC meeting minutes normally published in the September OLAC Newsletter: The Cataloging Committee: Description and Access (CC:DA) liaison report reminded attendees that the RDA Toolkit is frozen during the RDA Toolkit Restructure and Redesign (3R). RDA content will have the IFLA-Library Reference Model (LRM) as the underlying model. The CC:DA Monday meeting has been cancelled;

Read More »

CC:DA: ALA Annual Report 2016

Reported by Mary Huismann (University of Minnesota), Chair, Content Standards Subcommittee The CC:DA blog contains the full agenda and links to various documents and reports. After introductions, the adoption of the agenda, and approval of the minutes of the meeting held at ALA Midwinter, chair Dominique Bourassa delivered the report of CC:DA motions and other actions, January – June 2016. Motions to form task forces to investigate definitions or and instructions for accompanying material in RDA and for the review of the FRBR-Library Reference Model were approved. The report of the latter task force was approved and sent on to the chair of the FRBR Review Group. A motion to include the new Deseret Romanization table in the ALA-LC Romanization tables was also approved. Library of Congress Report (Dave Reser) Reser reported on personnel changes (including the nomination of Dr. Carla D. Hayden as the next Librarian of Congress, and

Read More »

SAC: ALA Annual Report 2016

Orlando, FL, June 24-28, 2016 Reports from: ALCTS-CAMMS Subject Analysis Committee (SAC) SAC Subcommittee on Genre/Form Implementation (SGFI) Linked Library Data Interest Group Faceted Subject Access Interest Group PCC Participants Meeting (Selected for interest to MLA) Subject Analysis Committee Presentation: “Pre-Coordinate vs. Post-Coordinate Subject Access: Pros and Cons and a Real Life Experience” Peter Fletcher (UCLA) discussed the relative merits of pre- and post-coordinate subject systems. Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH) is the prime example of a pre- coordinate system, while PRECIS as an example of a post-coordinate system. Among the arguments in favor of pre-coordination are: sophisticated context, which is needed for disambiguation, suggestibility and precision (Elaine Svenonius); and, a stable, comprehensive, globally-used vocabulary (in the case of LCSH). Among the arguments in favor of post-coordination are: more structurally sound; more amenable for Linked Open Data uses; and, inconsistent syntax rules cause difficulty for clean, faceted interfaces (Kelley

Read More »