CMC Business Meeting Report 2019

MUSIC LIBRARY ASSOCIATION

CATALOGING AND METADATA COMMITTEE

Business Meetings, MLA Annual Meeting 2019, St. Louis, Missouri

Agenda with links available on CMC Blog at: http://cmc.blog.musiclibraryassoc.org/

THURSDAY February 21, 11:00 am-12:25 pm

1. Introduction and announcements (Snyder) 11-11:10

  • Tracey Snyder called the meeting to order and asked those speaking to speak loudly and clearly.
  • Tracey distributed some printed copies of the agenda and noted that links to that agenda and the agendas for the subcommittee meetings were also available online on the CMC blog. She also reminded all those present to sign the sign-in sheet, and issued a friendly reminder about etiquette during the business meeting.
  • Introductions were made around the table for all of the officers present.
a. Adjustments to agenda

i. There were no adjustments to the agenda, except possibly to the times in the agenda.

b.Thanks to outgoing members

i. Tracey announced that Jim Soe Nyun and Elizabeth Hille Cribbs are wrapping up their 4-year terms as the Encoding Standards Subcommittee Chair and Secretary/Webmaster, respectively, and she thanked them for their service.

c. Welcome to incoming members

i. Tracey announced that Josh Henry has been serving as the Incoming Secretary/Webmaster and will be taking over as Secretary/Webmaster at the end of this Annual Meeting. She also announced that Karen Peters has been selected as the new Encoding Standards Subcommittee Chair,and Hermine Vermeij has been appointed as the Incoming Chair of the CMC.

d. Administrative business

i. Documents

1. CMC annual reports 2018 (and more, on CMC Reports page)

  • Tracey announced that all of the CMC annual reports are available on the All Documents page of the CMC’s website, and she noted that these documents are especially helpful for understanding how CMC’s work ties in with MLA’s overall strategic plan.

2. CMC roster 2019-2020 (CMC website to be updated after MLA)

  • Tracey announced that all of the rosters will be updated after the MLA Annual Meeting concludes.

3. CMC calendar (also in CMC Handbook , on CMC Groups page)

  • Tracey announced that the CMC calendar is also available for reference, and that she will be performing updates on it after MLA concludes.

4. Chair reports from ALA Midwinter 2019 and ALA Annual 2018

  • Tracey announced that all of the ALA Midwinter and ALA Annual 2018 conference reports are available on the All Documents page of the CMC’s website.

ii. Announce program sessions and business meetings

1. Tracey announced the following meetings and sessions sponsored by CMC during MLA’s Annual Meeting, and encouraged everyone to attend the sessions as they were available to do so. The second CMC Business Meeting will take place on Saturday, February 23rd, from 1:30 p.m. — 2:30 p.m. The Vocabularies Subcommittee meeting will take place Thursday at 1:00 p.m. — 2:25 p.m., the Encoding Standards subcommittee meeting will take place Thursday at 3:30 p.m. — 4:55 p.m., and the Content Standards subcommittee meeting will take place Saturday at 11:00 a.m. — 12:25 p.m. The NACO/SACO/BIBCO Funnels meeting will take place on Friday, February 22nd, from 10:30 a.m.– 11:55 a.m. Thursday at 1:00 p.m. Andi Beckendorf and Nara Newcomer will present “Common Threads: Music Information Literacy as Community Practice,” and this presentation is co-sponsored by the CMC. Thursday at 2:30 p.m. Monica Figueroa, Rahni Kennedy, Treshani Perera, and Sandy Rodriguezwill present “We Here. Now What?: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Music Technical Spaces,” and although it unfortunately overlaps with the Encoding Standards Subcommittee a little bit, it promises to be a thought-provoking session. Friday at 12:30 p.m. Nancy Lorimer, and Caitlin Hunter will present “Malleable Metadata Models: Representation and Inclusion of Diverse Musical Content.” Friday at 1:30 p.m., Brad Young, Hermine Vermeij, Nancy Lorimer, Kirk-Evan Billet, Casey Mullin, and Allison McClanahan will present “Bringing the World into the Catalog and the Classroom: Mitigating Western-Centrism with Controlled Vocabularies for Music,” which also ties in especially well to the current conference theme. The Cataloging and Metadata Town Hall meeting will occur Friday as well, from 5:00 p.m. — 6:25 p.m.Tracey encouraged everyone present to attend these sessions.

iii. Announce CMC openings and deadline for applications (Friday)

1. Tracey announced that there were openings on all of the subcommittees for interested persons, and encouraged anyone who was interested to email a brief statement of interest and their background to either the subcommittee chair or herself, or both, by tomorrow. Tracey further noted that positions on the subcommittees are available for those who are new to the profession and those that are more experienced.

2. Brief reports, meeting teasers, and Linked Data plans

a. Subcommittees 11:10-11:25

i. Content Standards (Huismann)

  • Mary Huismann announced that the Content Standards Subcommittee (CSS) carried a lighter load over the past year due to the frozen RDA Toolkit, but she promised that work will resume after the stable English text version of the Toolkit is released. Mary encouraged everyone present to attend the CSS meeting, which will take place on Saturday, February 23rd from 11:00 a.m. –12:25 p.m. and will feature discussions about the Best Practices documents.

ii. Encoding Standards (Soe Nyun)

  • Jim Soe Nyun announced that the Encoding Standards Subcommittee (ESS) will meet Thursday at 3:30 p.m., and said that the meeting would include fun stuff on MARC, including some stuff recently finished and some stuff in development, and some work performed last year including commenting on the ISBD test records, a little bit on atomizing the medium of performance field (382 field), and a little bit about what’s happening regarding turning MARC into Linked Data as well as the impediments to that process.

iii. Vocabularies (Belford)

  • Rebecca Belford reported that the work that the Vocabularies Subcommittee (VS) has tackled is largely grouped into task groups: the Types of Composition list maintenance worked on twelve terms, the Thematic Indexes maintenance group worked on thirteen index entries with five under consideration, the LCMPT and LCGFT maintenance task group didn’t add or change any LCMPT terms, but they submitted a proposal for Improvisations(Music), which was approved. They discussed Reductions (Music) and submitted an alternate proposal for the proposal . The task group on deriving faceted terms performed work. Belford thanked Casey Mullin for staying on as coordinator through the summer of 2018 and thanked Gary Strawn for his contributions. Major Toolkit releases were issued in October 2018 and January 2019 and publicized, and there are a lot of discussion issues left. Rebecca promised updates and announcements at the VS meeting later on Thursday from 1:00 p.m. — 2:25 p.m. Rebecca also said that the VS meeting would include discussion on revising the best practices for LCMPT and LCGFT documents as well as discussion on some pretty big outstanding issues, and concluded by reminding the group that suggestion boxes are available via the CMC website. Rebecca encouraged everyone to please use them, as a lot of VS work is driven by those suggestions.
b. Pan-CMC work with other groups 11:25-11:35

i. Music Discovery Requirements: work with MLA Emerging Technologies & Services Committee (Snyder)

  • Tracey Snyder announced that the MDR2 was published in January of 2018. The MDR2 task force included a number of volunteers from CMC. Starting in 2018, a volunteer from each of the three CMC subcommittees will help maintain a running list on the wiki of changes to content standards, encoding standards, and vocabularies that may impact the content of the MDR, and the CMC chair will check in annually with the ETSC chair with a summary of changes and recommendation on whether/when the MDR needs to be revised and updated again. These changes will be tracked and reported until the volume of changes warrants a revised edition of the document, but this is not required this year.Tracey noted that CMC expertise is central to MDR work, and she thanked the volunteers.

ii. Archival Description of Notated Music: work with MLA Archives and Special Collections Committee (Snyder)

  • Tracey Snyder noted that in of March 2018, the MLA WorkingGroup for Archival Description of Music Materials, a sub-group of the MLA Archives and Special Collections Committee, requested feedback on the first draft of Archival Description of Notated Music, A Supplement to Describing Archives: A Content Standard. Volunteers from all of the three CMC subcommittees reviewed the document and provided feedback and a second draft was issued, incorporating feedback. CMC expertise may be requested to review the second draft. Tracey concluded by thanking the volunteers who provided feedback and assisted with revising the documents.

iii. ISBD revision: work with IFLA ISBD Review Group (Holden)

  • Chris Holden reported that he is taking over as the IAML liaison to the ISBD committee. Chris noted that relevant ISBD revisions must occur to articulate how ISBD should apply to a larger variety of resources, including unpublished resources, and to figure out how ISBD can be more properly aligned with the Manifestation entity of IFLA LRM as well as the International Cataloging Principles released by IFLA in 2016. The group is in the process of getting started : the group has been formed, a schedule has been adopted that includes publishing a draft document in 2020, and a meeting of the editorial group has been scheduled for next week. ISBD will serve as the basis for European RDA Interest Group’s application profile and will include many more examples of languages, scripts, and a larger type of resources. The draft document from this group will be made available in 2020 for content groups to review, and comments will be solicited, so Chris will ensure that all of CMC is apprised and included in this process.

iv. LCMPT & UNIMARC 146: work with IAML Cataloguing and Metadata Committee (Szeto)

  • Kimmy Szeto reported that at this point last year, the group made the first pass of mapping each of IAML’s UNIMARC medium of performance code (MARC field 146) to a LCMPT term. There were about 400 codes in the original list and most of them were mapped, but unfortunately the group was left with about a dozen terms that still warranted questions (they were vague, the group couldn’t understand, etc.). This year, the group forwarded the questions to the maintainer of the UNIMARC code list, Massimo Gentili-Tedeschi of the Braidense National Library in Milan, Italy. Massimo gave the group a detailed reply to each of the terms, and thanks to that response the group was able to complete the mapping. After the first pass was completed, a second group of volunteers did a second pass with fresh eyes, and in the process, the group also corrected errors elsewhere in 42 of the 392 terms. The group called the mapping work complete at that point. When Kimmy approached Gordon Dunsire about publishing the map in the Open Metadata Registry, it turned out IFLA was doing an overhaul of the registry’s database itself, and all imports have been frozen. However, Gordon Dunsire did receive the map, and the map is in line for publication when the registry comes back into operation. In the meantime, Kimmy has uploaded the map to the CMC wiki so all active CMC members can see the work there. Kimmy hopes that the map will be the beginning of a discussion to connect these vocabularies, and he thanked all of the volunteers who worked on the project for their assistance. Tracey noted that last year when Kimmy gave his update there was a discussion about writing a white paper to submit to LC about possibly making it multilingual. However, the CMC has decided that now is not the right time to do this because everyone is incredibly busy. Nancy Lorimer suggested using the map for some kind of project with WikiData, and noted that she might end up doing that at Stanford. Tracey encouraged all group members to stay tuned for further developments.
c. Working group 11:35-11:55

i. MLA Linked Data Working Group (Vermeij) Intersection of LDWG and LD4P2 (Lorimer)

  • Hermine Vermeij reported that the group spent the last yearreviewing material that had come out of the Performed Music Ontology (PMO) project. As part of the LD4P grant, the PMO project members had published a draft ontology as well as some analysis and modeling papers on the LD4P wiki. The LDWG group reviewed modeling papers, especially ones for works, events, and medium of performance. The ontology was just published at performedmusicontology.org. Hermine reported that LDWG members hope to get involved with LD4P2 and help test PMO. Nancy Lorimer’s LD4P2 colleagues at Stanford are developing an editor, Sinopia, that will be available in April. Hermine is hoping toissue a call soon for about six testers to commit to testing PMO incataloging. She and her group are currently nailing down what the testers will work on, and some of that work might include developing application profiles. However, how many profiles, whatmaterials are covered, and how to organize the profiles arequestions that are still under discussion. Hermine noted that thegroup wants to get lots of variety in the resources cataloged. Tracey and Hermine took a poll of interested people, and a show of hands indicated that about seven new people would be interested in assisting with the testing. Nancy noted that starting simply with some already examined resources and working out from there might be an effective strategy, which led Hermine to inquire whether working individually or together would be more effective. Nancy responded that trying to perform the cataloging individually and then coming together as a group might be an effective strategy. Tracey then noted that group should quickly begin to select resources and brainstorm categories of works covered and aspects of PMO to make sure to test, and she asked if each volunteer should pull various scenarios and format types for testing. Jim asked if the project would be interested only in performed music or if they should perform some work for print music as well, and Nancy noted that because LC is already doing some of this work this group might want to work on it as well. Hermine noted that the timeline of the grant, through summer of 2020, will make trying to finish this work within the calendar year advisable. Tracey observed that ideally the working group for this project should ideally disband around next year’s MLA meeting and advised the members to watch for a call for participation in this project. Tracey suggested that each cataloger in the group might handle around a dozen resources. Nancy then noted that the work is iterative and will never be in a perfect form, so the work must be kept manageable. The goals will be finding ways to refine PMO and developing profiles that can be used in the future as well as getting involved with developing a PCC profile for music. For now, Nancy will be the “profile wrangler.” Hermine asked people to provide suggestions for what to cover in the testing. Nancy noted that one effect of this work is that the testers will start to question everything that they do. Tracey asked if there were any concerns or questions from the room, and Jean Harden suggested that a wiki for discussion and collaborative purposes might prove very valuable. Tracey and Hermine agreed, and Nancy suggested creating a forum like this through Google Docs so that it can be linked to the larger LD4P2 system of folders.
d. Additional reports 11:55-12:25

i. NACO-Music Project (Scharff)

  • Mark Scharff encouraged everyone to attend the NACO/SACO/BIBCO funnel meeting, and he noted that one thing they will discuss is LRM and the notion of providing explicit attribution to a composer in a work record. He noted that right now the relationship between the composer and the work is implicit in the 100 field, but the feeling is that the relationship needs to be made explicit by adding a 500 field with the person’s name and the relationship designator of composer. This brings up some interesting issues on how that affects retrieval and display in a MARC environment. However, Mark noted that for the time being it’s just a discussion, and they plan to talk about the implications of it from many angles.

ii. SACO Music Funnel (Lorimer)

  • Nancy Lorimer noted that three new LCGFT terms were approved (Jump blues, Crust, and Stoner rock), so those terms are now available for use. She said that they will plan to talk a bit more tomorrow about current projects, including encouraging people to submit new terms, and about new projects on the horizon that are looming such as the work that is going to come from cancelling filmed operas, and the implications that that move has for new terms like televised rock programs.

iii. BIBCO Music Funnel (Blair)

  • Linda Blair noted that BIBCO is currently wrestling with someorganizational issues and contemplating how to bring individual BIBCO Music people and larger BIBCO institutions together. Linda reported that she is currently considering renaming the BIBCO Music Funnel as the BIBCO Music Community or BIBCO Music Project, as the PCC funnel definition is very specific.

iv. CMC Secretary/Webmaster (Cribbs, Henry)

  • Elizabeth Hille Cribbs announced that in addition to the usualadministrative work performed throughout the year she and Josh have undertaken two main projects: one is training Josh Henry asthe Incoming CMC Secretary/Webmaster, and the second is working with Katie Buehner on migrating the content of the CMC website to a new WordPress-based website as a pilot project for the larger MLA community. She reported that the new site ismostly moved over but still needs work. However, the new site has a lot of new features, including html-based reports that allows for more effective keyword searching and the possibility of more autonomy for the subcommittees. Tracey noted that the site is now available via the blog and provided the url for anyone who wished to peruse it.

v. Music Cataloging Bulletin (Holden)

  • Chris Holden reported that since the 2018 MLA meeting the Music Cataloging Bulletin has published 13 issues as well as the volume 49 index. Chris is currently working on getting electronic issuesfrom the past nine years sent to the MLA archives, and while a few gaps remain he is taking steps to close those gaps.

vi. Library of Congress (Vita)

  • Susan Vita noted that arrearage reduction will be important at LC, particularly in special collections. Quite a few positions will become available soon, including these positions within Music Division department: five archivist positions, four technician positions, and Steve Yusko’s former position for supervising thespecial collections and acquisitions areas. Susan encouraged all interested in those positions to apply. Susan also noted that LC has been paying particular attention to improving collection access and housing, and it is paying off because now they can find thingsthat were previously undiscoverable and bring people down intothe stacks and show the collection off effectively while obtaining greater bibliographic control. This is leading to more people doing research, including high-profile people like Lin-Manuel Miranda. Projects will be coming up, including getting down into the older manuscripts and looking for submissions for RISM.

vii. OCLC (Weitz)

  • Jay Weitz noted that the OCLC Products and Services Release Notes are available, including information about some things that are less visible, notably the WorldCat validation. Catalogers should pay special attention to these reports. Jay also noted something important that’s not in the report: those who use Record Manager or who currently use the Connexion utility might be worried about the end date for these programs, so they will beinterested to hear that things are in flux right now because development is being substantially rethought. Discussion is very vague right now, but OCLC is currently thinking about a browser-based suite of applications and functions, some of which currently exist and some of which need more development. Jay advised the group to not worry about the end of life date for Connexion client; think rather about redefining the application/s. He encouraged those who are interested to join in the Record Manager Advisory Group and/or the newly-formed Connexion Advisory Group by emailing a letter of interest to RM-Product@oclc.org and telling them that Jay sent you.

3. Tracey offered thanks to all who came and adjourned the meeting.

SATURDAY February 23, 1:30 pm-2:55 pm

New business

1. Introduction (Snyder)

  • Tracey Snyder called the meeting to order and reminded all those present to signthe sign-in sheet. She also distributed some printed copies of the agenda andnoted that links to that agenda were also available online on the CMC blog.
  • Tracey read the Code of Conduct from the CMC Handbook, and issued a friendly reminder to those speaking to speak loudly and clearly for the benefit of those in the room and for recording purposes.
  • Tracey thanked all those who submitted applications to join CMC. She has received their applications even if she has not responded; applicants should not worry if they don’t hear back for a couple of weeks.
  • Tracey noted that this meeting is more flexible than the first, and the agenda will be adjusted to accommodate needed input from those that might not be able to stay the entire meeting.

2. Training/information needs

a. Screencasts

No screencasts were produced in the fall because of the CMC website migration. The timeline for new screencasts is fluid. While suggestions for screencasts were being discussed, the idea arose to treat some of them as a series leading into a webinar; there were mixed feelings about this concept in regards to screencasts functioning as “homework” to prepare for the webinars. Suggestions for future screencasts included:

  • Demonstration of submitting LCGFT and LCMPT proposal forms for theSACO Music Funnel.
  • Demonstration of encoding for 33x and 34x fields following the OLAC and MLA recommendations.
  • Demonstration of how MLA Best Practices function in the new RDAToolkit – Damian Iseminger cautioned against anything RDA related untilthe Toolkit countdown clock starts in 2020, because too much will change in the interim. Damian also mentioned that LC has decided to wait.
  • Discuss common trends in shared cataloging that do not conform to MLABest Practices, e.g. using “$c ℗&©2019” in the 264_4 instead of “$c℗2019, $c ©2019,” and then demonstrate cataloging according to theMLA Best Practices.
  • Revisit or expand upon MLA Best Practices for encoding 028s, such as what to do when copy cataloging records prior to introduction of code “6”in the first indicator for “Distributor number.”
  • Review basic concepts of RDA that are unlikely to change such as recording methods, i.e., unstructured, structured, identifier, and IRI, or definition of concepts in RDA.
  • Discuss the mechanics of linking fields and proper use of $3, i.e., use opus number, short title, or 1​st​ work, 2​nd​ work, etc.
  • Demonstration of transcribing parallel data on title pages. It wassuggested that the visual nature of this screencast would be a nice complement to the​​ Supplements to Best Practices for Music Cataloging​.
  • Discuss encoding dates in the 008 and 264s, e.g. what the codes such as“t,” “r” and “p” mean in 008, what mechanisms are allowed when supplying dates, and how it all relates to edtf.
  • Discuss relationship elements for music and how to best use them.
  • Discuss theses that are scores, provider-neutral records, and print-on-demand (POD) resources.
  • Demonstration of reporting duplicate records in OCLC (this could be more appropriate for MOUG; Casey Mullin confirmed that these types of screencasts are under consideration in MOUG).
b. Webinars

Tracey announced that CMC plans to conduct six webinars over approximately two years. Four of these webinars would be updated versions ofpreviously recorded webinars, i.e., cataloging scores, videos, classicalrecordings, popular recordings. Two new webinars are planned to addresscataloging librettos and historic audio recordings. Nailing down dates is difficult due the freeze on the RDA Toolkit, but the RSC Chair, Kathy Glennan, thinks that the April 2019 goal for the stabilization of the English text of the RDA Toolkit is realistic. Glennan further explained that translations of five of the eight current sets of Best Practices/Policy Statements in the Toolkit need to be fully functional before the countdown clock begins, expected in early 2020. Glennan also pointed out that the MLA Best Practices rely on the LC-PCC Policy Statements, which means the LC-PCC Policy Statements will need to be in place before MLA Best Practices can be finalized. At this point, the RDA webinars can begin to be produced. Sonia Archer-Capuzzo suggested that webinars in the interim can cover topics outside of RDA. LCGFT, LCMPT, or LCDGT, and the larger topic of how to use controlled vocabularies effectively are in demand for four-week e-courses. Webinars could lead into e-courses, much like the screencasts canlead into the webinars. Mark suggested that this can be a good way to introduce catalogers to using the LC manuals such as the Subject Heading Manual. E-courses also allow for more content to be presented without rushing.

c. Workshops

Tracey asked if in-person workshops such as preconferences are still needed if webinars and e-courses are introduced. General consensus wasthat in-person interaction is still beneficial. An RDA preconference at the 2020 MLA annual meeting is still too early since many things are still in flux. MLA 2021 would be ideal due to the meeting being held in the middle of the country, Cincinnati, where more can attend and things will have settled more by that point. Kathy suggested that another RIMMF preconference at MLA 2020 could be beneficial. Kathy also offered to assist with this by doing an introductory piece and providing framework similar to the RIMMF session held at MLA 2017.

3. CMC/NMP retrospective and​​ MLA Statement on Authority Control

These topics were put together and moved up in the agenda in order to elicit Mark Scharff’s input before he needed to leave the meeting.

  • A possible CMC/NMP retrospective planned for next year would fall onthe five year anniversary of BCC rebranding itself as CMC and forming the BIBCO Music Funnel. Tracey wanted to know if this would be worthwhile or filler. There were mixed feelings. Discussion will continueon the wiki.
  • Should CMC update the​​ MLA Statement on Authority Control​​ or is advocacy for authority control stated sufficiently in​​ Music Discovery Requirements​​ (MDR2)? Tracey noted that in a preliminary email discussion with a small group of stakeholders, people agreed that the existing document is still elegant and useful (although a revised document could mention newer resources like VIAF and ISNI) and that catalogers are still working in the same MARC environment as when the document was written; in order to have impact, a revised document should discuss new developments, and it may be too soon for this. Mark suggested that we keep in mind who the audience should be for the document. One important audience is administrators, to demonstrate to them the importance of authority control. Therefore, the language needs to not become too technical if the audience is to remain the same. However, if the audience is shifted to developers to demonstrate to them the importance of authority control, then the language could change. Damian, one of the drafters of the document, thought that the document is still relevant to today’s cataloging environment. This document is more important now that there is more non-library sourced metadata in library OPACs. Hermine Vermeij stressed that the document should really focus on advocacy for discovery-related benefits of authority control, especially with systems personnel. Casey Mullin reminded the group that there is now a Music Library Advocacy Committee, who could be a good partner in revising this document. It was decided to hold off on revising the document, but it may be considered again next year.

4. Core Competencies for Cataloging and Metadata Professional Librarians​—should we write a music-specific supplement?

This topic was moved up in the meeting in order to allow Bruce Evans, who helped draft the core competencies ​document​, to join the discussion before he had to leave the meeting.

  • Tracey suggested that CMC could follow the procedure laid out in an article about the development of the core competencies to draft a document specific to music catalogers. There followed a discussion about what could be generalizable enough when discussing music cataloging, since music cataloging covers a wide range such as Western art music, ethnomusicology, historic audio recordings, etc. Not all catalogers ofmusic have a need to consult resources such as the Types of Composition List or the Thematic Indexes List. It was suggested thatguidance could be drafted for catalogers who are not “music catalog librarians” but catalog music materials. Hermine wanted to know if there was feedback on how the document is used. Bruce indicated there has been lots of feedback and that the document is definitely being used. Bruce suggested that the document could list competencies that a music cataloger could know (though it is not necessarily required to know all ofthem to be successful). A suggestion was made to look at the existing core competencies for music librarians​ for guidance. (An ​MLA task group is also working on a ​new version​.) A straw poll was taken on whethersuch a document should be pursued and when. It was decided that the document should be written, but it will most likely take more than a year. Meanwhile, Tracey will contact potential stakeholders like the MLA Education Committee, Rebecca Belford will contact the Music Library Advocacy Committee, and Bruce suggested also contacting professors who teach cataloging as well. Several volunteers indicated interest in working on this project when it commences.
  • In conjunction with this discussion, Tracey suggested we discuss where and how CMC promotes itself and its resources, such as Best Practices. Perhaps we should formalize, in the CMC Handbook, a plan/schedule for promotion on more general listservs such as AutoCat, OCLC-Cat, andALCTS lists, in addition to the standard assortment of music catalogingand music library listservs. The Troublesome Catalogers and Magical Metadata Fairies Facebook group was also mentioned as a place wherenon-music specialists sometimes ask music cataloging questions and music specialists jump in with answers. In addition to routine promotion of CMC, communication should happen at point of need, i.e., answer questions on listservs. Casey Mullin suggested following the NACO Consultation Board’s approach by appointing certain people to each listserv or other platforms. Discussion will continue on the wiki.

5. MLA 2019 program—reactions to content, meeting times, etc.

a. Tracey was already aware that the short lunch breaks was an issue this year. She asked for any other comments or concerns about this year’s conference.

  • Many people liked the Bringing the World presentation.
  • We need to figure out how to draw pubic services people into presentations that could benefit them. Hermine suggested that sending out invitations on the listserv for specific sessions might be a good approach. Recordings of sessions could also be advertised after the fact.

b. Please complete MLA survey when prompted after MLA.

c. Presenters, please upload your presentations when prompted after MLA.

6. MLA 2020 program

a. Discussion on this topic was very brief; further discussion will occur on the wiki.

  • Local invited guest? e.g.,​​ SNAC​ (Social Networks and Archival Context)

1. People liked this and agreed that inviting Daniel Pitti was a goodidea.

  • Remote invited guest? e.g.,​​ LITMUS​ (Linked Irish Traditional Music)

1. People voiced interest in this idea due to it demonstrating Linked Data in practice and thought that inviting Lynnsey Weissenberger to speak on this on next year’s program was a good idea. Hermine voiced support for combining the two ideas into a single program.

7. Meeting was adjourned at 2:55 p.m.