Cataloging and Metadata Committee MLA Report: 2016

MLA Annual Meeting 2016
Cincinnati, Ohio

Online agenda and links available on CMC Blog at:
http://www.musiclibraryassoc.org/blogpost/1258266/Cataloging­and­Metadata

Meeting #1 Thursday, March 3, 2016 11:00 am­12:30 pm

I. Introduction and announcements

A. Adjustments to agenda –

1. There were no adjustments needed for the agenda.

B. Thanks to outgoing members

1. Beth Iseminger thanked the outgoing Content Standards Subcommittee Chair, Tracey Snyder, the BIBFRAME Task Force Chair, Kimmy Szeto, and the Genre Form Task Force Chair, Nancy Lorimer, for their services to the CMC.

C. Welcome incoming members

1. Beth welcomed Mary Huismann, the incoming Content Standards Subcommittee Chair.

D. Administrative business ­

1.​​Documentation

a.​C​MC roster 2016­2017

b.​C​MC calendar 2016­2017

2. Announce upcoming program sessions

a. Beth highlighted 5 specific CMC and related programs: Friday, the 9:00­10:30 plenary session will highlight practical applications of linked data, an 11:00­12:30 session will focus on music discovery requirements in action that is co­sponsored with the Emerging Technologies and Services Committee, and the Cataloging and Metadata Town Hall from 6:00­7:30. On Saturday Kathy Glennan will lead an already­full Workshop called RDA in Many Metadata Formats, and at the same time from 11:00­12:30 there will be a session on creating metadata for rare and archival materials. All of these sessions will be held in the Pavilion Room except Kathy’s workshop session.

3. Announce CMC openings and deadline for applications –

a. Beth announced that all of the subcommittees are accepting applications and encouraged all interested persons to submit an application for serving on all of the subcommittees or task forces. The deadline for applications will be Saturday at 11:00 a.m.

II. Brief reports

A.​​Subcommittees

1. Content Standards

a. Tracey Snyder announced that the Content Standards Business Meeting will be held on Saturday from 9:00­10:30 a.m. The subcommittee will use the meeting to talk about what was done last year and what’s coming for this year as well as to cover miscellaneous news and mention avenues of communication. The meeting will also include announcements from ALA CC:DA, a report on the LC BIBFRAME pilot project by Valerie Weinberg, and Kathy Glennan will give some updates about her work as the ALA rep to RDA Steering Committee (changes in governances and new FRBR­RLM document), which she will also discuss at the Cataloging and Metadata Town Hall. The subcommittee members will also talk about some finite projects in the past year, including reviewing DCRM(M), as well as some ongoing work on OLAC/RDA Playaways cataloging guide, guidelines how to code 008/Byte 20 music values, and preferred titles for Hungarian string quartets. The subcommittee will also discuss the main ongoing areas of production for the subcommittee, including the maintenance of RDA best practices and the sporadic revision of the LC­PCC policy statements, and relationship designators, and review of proposals and discussion papers put forth by RDA Music Working Group and other constituencies. Finally, Tracey will review some of the proposals that the subcommittee might focus on in the coming year, including developing guidelines for some new areas of MLA­BPs (including chapters 9­11 of the RDA Toolkit), clarifying relationships between related works, addressing issues with popular music AAPs and how to describe those in the MLA­BPs.

2​.​Encoding

a. Jim Soe Nyun announced that the Encoding Standards subcommittee business meeting will happen tomorrow afternoon from 4:00­5:30 p.m. The agenda will cover what happened last year and discuss directions for next year, including how to proceed with BIBFRAME. In the past year the Encoding Standards subcommittee put forth four MARC proposals – some going towards BIBFRAME, some accommodating needs right now, and one advanced to a formal proposal. At ALA Midwinter Proposal 2016­2 was approved (field 382 $r total of performers playing alongside an ensemble, and $t total number of ensemble), so expect to see implementation this summer. Three more papers were supported to bring back next summer as formal MARC proposals. One will involve the 382 field adding $3 and $5, another one looking further at clarifying 008 byte 20 (form of score) and the last one involved distributor numbers (asking for expansion of 028 field and clarifying confusing language in the 037). The Encoding Standards subcommittee accomplished several things in the past year, including reviewing changes to PBCore 2.1 and commenting on them, putting in comments in MADS­XML to better reflect the structure of MARC that will allow the head of the editorial committee to consider music elements that were left out, and assisting with the ProMusicDB identifier process that will launch on March 15th at the SXSW Music Festival in Austin, Texas.

3. Vocabularies

a. Casey Mullin announced that the Vocabularies Subcommittee will meet tomorrow from 1:30­3:00 p.m. in a combined meeting with the Genre Form Task Force. Casey went over the various accomplishments of the past year, including the work that the subcommittee did when the charge of the subcommittee was expanded to include managing and maintaining the Types of Composition list and the Thematic Indexes list. The subcommittee continues to work on the issue of cognates and operational definitions, and Casey will recap things done in the past, which included releasing a revised and expanded version of the LCMPT Best Practices and revising specific areas of LCMPT. One major task in front of the group in the coming year is the retrospective project to generate genre and medium terms from existing LCSH terms in bib records. Tracey reminded everyone that the agenda for this meeting and the other meetings are on the CMC blog. Casey said that at the Town Hall meeting he will give a very brief introduction to the newest LC vocabulary, Library of Congress Demographic Terms (LCDGT).

B. Task forces

1. BIBFRAME Task Force ­ ​BIBFRAME Task Force Final Report​(approved by MLABoard 3/1/16) –

a. Kimmy Szeto thanked members of the BIBFRAME Task Force. The Task
Force will dissolve at the end of this MLA Annual Meeting.

b. Beth Iseminger announced that the Board has approved the final report issued by the BIBFRAME Task Force. The next step for CMC involves deciding how to handle future BIBFRAME work. It doesn’t seem that a new task force is needed; what is needed is rather a more flexible pool of experts who can work on specific BIBFRAME tasks as they arise. The MLA Board approved the model of working groups, which may be a good way to approach CMC BIBFRAME work. Board member Damian Iseminger confirmed that committee chairs may appoint working groups themselves, without needed Board or President approval the way task forces do.

c. Kimmy Szeto announced that the BIBFRAME Task Force took MARC to BIBFRAME transformation tools, discovered some irregularities with music data, examined the changes that happened as testing progressed, and gave an analysis of those findings that is reflected in the final report. The Task Force also focused on pilot for developing a BIBFRAME vocabulary for medium of performance, which will be discussed at the meeting today at 3:30 in this room, with a quick recap and a discussion with some of the LC members who participated in the process and where we might go in the future with these projects. Kimmy also said that processes have happened much faster than most MARC proposals, so please come to the meeting this afternoon if you’re interested in the work.

2. Genre/Form Task Force ­ ​Genre/Form Task Force Final Report​(approved by MLA Board 3/1/16)

a. Nancy Lorimer announced that the Genre/Form task force, will dissolve at the end of the MLA meeting. Just before MLA last year, the Genre/Form Task Force published the main set of terms, but about 100 terms were left out because of lack of information to establish them. Very few were turned down completely, and some were added back, though some more work remains. One of those areas concerns performing arts terms – some were allowed through (such as Operas), but some were not, and work needs to be done to reconcile the terms. Nancy reported that the Task Force has submitted 40 more terms, all of which have been approved, and some have come out from suggestions made over the list. Some LCSH terms published in the MCB that may be used as genre/form terms are also being added as well (Indie pop music is one example). So far, these terms are being made available in Vocabularies Subcommittee reports, and they are also announced in the MCB. Casey Mullin compiled all the terms that had gone through in between Annual and Midwinter in his latest report to ALA, and those responsible for the later­added terms may put them in blog posts in the future. Nancy reported that as of tomorrow, the task force is done but some work will continue. In her role as SACO Music Funnel Coordinator, Nancy will be working with Janis Young from LC­PSD to shepherd through the remaining terms on the list. After this is completed around June 30​, ongoing maintenance work will be turned over to the Vocabularies Subcommittee. Despite the long duration of this task force (9 years), only one person needed to resign, and everyone involved did fantastic work.

C. Additional reports

1. CMC Website Update

a. Elizabeth Hille Cribbs reported that she and Katie Buehner have mostly completed the website migration over from the old BCC site to the new CMC site. She is continuing to post requested updates and reports as quickly as she can, and identifying and fixing broken links and filling in missing reports will be an ongoing project, especially through the summer. She asked the users of the site to please continue to identify those broken links by reporting them to their subcommittee or task force chairs so that we may place them on the work list for the website. Elizabeth also continues to post updates to the RDA Toolkit, and she thanks Casey Mullin and Tracey Snyder for being excellent guides in the learning process.

2. ​BIBCO Music Funnel

a. Linda Blair reported that this is the first report of the BIBCO Music Funnel. Beth Iseminger worked with Jessalyn Zoom from PCC to lay the groundwork for the project, including asking many questions which ended up being part of the BIBCO funnel FAQ. Linda assumed the Coordinator position in March and submitted an application for the formation of the funnel, which was accepted by the PCC in April, and Chuck Peters established the listserv for the BIBCO Music Funnel. In May, Linda attended a PCC Operations Committee meeting and gave a report that talked about the progress made so far. She also began gathering member applications.There are currently five funnel members who are independent, four of whom are independent for both scores and sound recordings and one who is independent for scores. Three members are serving as reviewers of the five applicants who are under review, as well as two more members who expect to begin contributing soon. There are currently twenty listserv subscribers, and so far 115 bibliographic records have been reviewed, 100 scores and fifteen sound recordings. The group will discuss a few questions at the NACO/BIBCO meeting, including the collection of statistics. Linda would like to collect statistics for the funnel in addition to those reported to the PCC. It would be useful, for example, to have statistics broken down by format.. Linda said that the group may end up choosing to rename the group to the BIBCO Music Project instead of the BIBCO Music Funnel, since the group functions more like the NACO Music Project than a funnel such as the SACO funnel.

3. ​NACO Music Project

a. Mark Scharff started by giving thanks to Alan Ringwood for his contributions to this report. He reported that the NMP Participants’ Meeting will be on Thursday afternoon from 1:30­3:30. This year the meeting was billed as a NACO/BIBCO participants meeting, though it will probably become the PCC Music Participants’ Meeting in the future, Linda, Alan, and Nancy will give reports, but the main session will be presented by Morris Levy and Tomoko Shibuya on Gary Strawn’s Authorities Toolkit. Mark asked those interested in or currently participating in the funnels to please show up. Mark announced that Alan Ringwood is completing his term as Chair of the NMP Advisory Committee and has done a phenomenal job, and Mary Huismann will move into the position of Chair after Alan is done. Tracey Snyder will be the CMC representative on NMPAC. Mark announced that there is an opening for an at­large member of the committee, and if anyone present is a NACO participant (who is ideally independent) and interested in serving please send a letter of interest to Mark. The NACO Music Project accepted at least six new participants into the project, and there are currently ninety­six members from seventy­six institutions, although some of the places are vacant. Currently forty­one participants are independent for names, twenty­six members are independent for name titles, and one is independent for series. Mark reported that the NACO Music Project is currently planning to reach out to NMP members who were independent under AACR2 to encourage them to become independent in RDA. Mark also said that the group would like to start archiving applications for NMPAC reference. Mark is currently working with Beth and Tracey to get some more documentation about the NACO Music Project Coordinator and the members at large and their duties into the CMC documentation.

4. ​SACO Music Funnel

a. Nancy Lorimer reported that the SACO Music Funnel accepts proposals for LCSH and LCMPT terms from everyone. They are not accepting outside proposals for LCGFT terms yet. Currently, new terms stem from four sources: LCSH and LCMPT terms from catalogers, some from the cataloging listservs, and terms from changes from the Vocabularies Subcommittee/Genre­Form working group. The SACO Music Funnel now also has a page that can be found in the PCC funnels section of the CMC website, and the old SACO funnel LC site will be taken down soon. The new site includes some new guidelines for LCMPT usage and forms for submission. Nancy will be talking more tomorrow about these issues at the Vocabularies Subcommittee and Genre/Form Task Force Joint Meeting from 1:30­3:00 and at the Music Discovery Requirements in Action presentation from 11:00 a.m.­12:30 p.m.

5. M​usic Cataloging Bulletin

a. Chris Holden reported that since the last meeting 12 issues have been published along with the index to volume 46. Chris has worked with Alan Ringwood during a transitional period and he thanked Alan for showing him the ropes.

6. D​escriptive Cataloging of Rare Materials (Music)

a. Nancy Lorimer reported that this working group is mostly Nancy because 2 people have retired including the Chair. Last year, the group incorporated the various comments and suggestions of the DCRM(M) text by the Content Standards subcommittee and brought the text in line regarding new style and vocabulary changes. The group also finally took out the index originally put in by the RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee and decided that for cartographic and music they’ll leave out indexes and try to hire a professional indexer later.
At the beginning of February, Nancy submitted the text to the BSC for proofreading and comments and most people responded well, so Nancy will be making the necessary revisions and soon and the text will be finished. After this the text will need to be approved by the BSC, CMC, RBMS, MLA, and then the word doc and pdf doc will be posted to the PSD, after which it will make it into Cataloger’s Desktop and become available for free on the CMC website. They will need to update a little in the BSR but the actual code for using DCRM has been available for awhile. Nancy will be talking more about this at the Creating Metadata for Rare and Archival Materials: Standards and Practices session on Saturday from 11:00 a.m.­12:30 p.m.

7. L​ibrary of Congress​(Yusko for Vita)

a. Steve Yusko reported that there have been some personnel changes for LC. Dan Boomhower resigned as Head of Reader Services, so that position opening will be announced soon. Joe Bartl in the Metadata area retired in June of 2014 and the position has finally been approved, as well as two new music cataloging positions; all of those positions will be advertised soon as well. Steve also announced that Bob Lipartito has been hired for Assistant Head of Reader Services, Libby Smigel is the Dance Archivist in the Music Division, and Junior Fellows are currently coming in this summer, including one whose project will involve digitizing Bernstein materials. Tim Carter and other people will be handling Bernstein’s non­holographic manuscript music, and the Library of Congress will be working with many special projects this year, including handling a lot of election management activities and renting new facility space somewhere in Prince George County for special collections and classified collections. The Library of Congress hopes to move a lot of palletted collections to this facility, and one advantage will be that LC can organize their copyright processes. The Music Division is also poised to receive a new floor (G level), and the Performing Arts Reading Room will be redesigned and rebuilt, mostly likely within the next two years. The Library of Congress also installed a new automated call script for the Music Division that will not be available for special collections. The Library of Congress will have two new music acquisitions announced soon in Notes for Notes. They are focused on improving the Hammerstein collection by going through and trying to get them in a better housing and order, and they have received a lot of feedback and questions about the Babbitt collection. Steve will be speaking about BIBFRAME at the Encoding Standards meeting tomorrow.

8 . O​ C L C

a. Jay Weitz’s report can be found o​nline.​In January, Jay put together a “Cataloging Maps Defensively” program that goes along with his original 2010 presentation “Cataloging Defensively.” He presented the new slides to maps catalogers group at ALA and yesterday he presented “Cataloging Sound Recordings Defensively” at MOUG. He will put together presentations for scores and video recording cataloging as well. All of these presentations are available on OCLC website on the “​About RDA” page,​and they will be available on the MOUG website as well.
Before the meeting closed for the day, Beth Iseminger announced that Michael Rogan, MLA’s President, would attend the first few minutes of the Saturday meeting that begins at 1:30. She invited all present to attend and hear what Michael has to say.

Meeting #2 Saturday, March 5, 2016 1:30 pm­3:30 pm

New Business

III. MLA Orlando 2017 and IAML

A. Michael Rogan, the President of MLA, attended the first few minutes of this meeting and announced that MLA is partnering with IAML and the Canadian Association of Music Libraries, Archives, and Documentation Centres (CAML) to invite Latin American music librarians and archivists to the conference in Orlando in 2017. The opportunity was initiated at IAML in NYC with some attendees discussing regional opportunities to attend and get benefits from their international colleagues. Orlando’s geographic proximity makes travel more convenient for our Southern neighbors, including those in Latin America, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean. We will continue the process of streaming and recording one room of presentations at the conference so that non­attendees will be able to benefit, and the Board hopes that captioning and translating will be part of the plan. A letter has been drafted and institutions have been identified for invitations, and Michael said that suggestions and ideas are being requested. Committees are being asked to identify what they might want to offer or learn from their foreign colleagues, both within plenary sessions and in the working communities that have overlapping interests.

Based on questions from the CMC attendees, Michael said that the planning group has contacted institutions in Brazil, Cuba, Mexico, Venezuela, Argentina and Chile and that institutional connections are being explored so we can identify music­subject colleagues. In response to questions concerning like attendance, Michael does not know how many people will attend, but he guessed that maybe a dozen Latin American colleagues may participate. However, Michael reiterated that he considers the value of the project to lie within the collaboration and the opening of resources both within MLA to the outside world and the other groups’ resources to us. CAML colleagues will be invited to attend, as will people working in other Latin­American areas. He asked the CMC group to put their creative thinking caps on and practice their Spanish.

IV. BIBFRAME and Linked Data for Music

A. Recap of BIBFRAME Task Force meeting

1. Kimmy Szeto reported that the BIBFRAME Task Force met on Thursday in the afternoon and had a productive discussion about how BIBFRAME work will go forward. The discussion included librarians from LC, in particular Paul Frank, who talked about pilot projects that are winding down and the next focus they have on LD4P. Kimmy reported that the next area of focus will be working on the LD4PM grant. Beginning this work will need to wait until March 10​, when it is anticipated that the announcement of the grant approval will occur.

B. LD4PM grant, Stanford work, and future plans involving CMC

1. Beth Iseminger commented that what the CMC is looking at is a Working Group in the new sense, which means a group appointed by the CMC Chair which can include CMC members as well as outside members with particular expertise. The pool for working group members will involve those working with Stanford on LD4PM (James Soe Nyun and Kirk­Evan Billet); CMC should determine what qualifications other members of the pool should have and what skills are needed. With regard to partnering with LC, Beth noted that CMC should collaborate specifically with Paul Frank from LC and with music colleagues from the Music Division and MBRS; these are the LC experts with music knowledge, and collaboration between MLA and these LC constituents will be increasingly important in terms of music­related BIBFRAME development. Laura Yust added that LC wants to work with outside groups such as MLA, though that doesn’t preclude LC from also doing its own internal work.

2. Beth asked about thoughts on the BIBFRAME Working Group. Jim Soe Nyun responded that there’s work that needs to be done and that the basic structure of the grant provides good architecture. He commented that while performed music is a good focal point, we might have other projects that need work as well and that complementary work is probably needed, particularly in the area of notated music. Some core things that need to happen involve developing an internal group of experts while also allowing input from the larger CMC committee and MLA at large, educating ourselves more about the issues involved with the project, and working within the structure of the grant while keeping things flexible to allow for other opportunities. Kimmy wanted to make sure that there is a virtual workspaces, that everyone knows who the contacts are, that we’re maintaining documentation on the website, on the MMR and publicizing what’s been done regardless of who we work with on this or what other schema outside of BIBFRAME so that someone knows what we’re supposed to do each time. Beth noted that this administrative work will probably fit within the Encoding Standards Subcommittee’s working infrastructure.

3. Nancy commented that we need to figure out how to fit genre into the ontology, and we need to think about ways to address this in BIBFRAME 2.0. She commented that documentation involving performed music of any type needs a lot of people looking at it to get it right. Title is a really difficult thing, and BIBFRAME 2.0 is awkward and needs work. Jim said that core areas of the project might be used to develop use cases. Beth added that the group will need to periodically reshuffle and prioritize what projects should be taken on. Nancy replied that the grant does include two face­to­face meetings of the immediate representatives in the proposal. Jim said that he was curious about a timetable for the project and the meetings. Nancy noted that we would need to talk about that ASAP .

4. Tracey Snyder concluded that we’ve coalesced around a flexible working group not constrained by subcommittee term appointments and that it seems to be a good structure, but she asked about how she should define the length of commitment when she issues the call for volunteer members. Nancy noted that the initial grant is one year, so a secondary grant might be a possibility after the first year. The tasks will take varying amounts of time, so although the whole project will definitely take much longer, the individual tasks will probably be much shorter. Beth added that the grant work done in the first year will help define the timelines after the initial grant is finished, but we’ve also talked about encouraging expertise within our group. Maybe we should talk about how much gets integrated into the Encoding Standards Subcommittee. Kimmy noted that keeping each individual task small with well­defined questions and answers will be helpful when soliciting the help of volunteers as the project continues. Jim also noted that waves of calls for volunteers can be initiated as needed. Nancy said that if people do decide to come and go that’s probably fine, as long as a common core group of people remain committed to the project. Brad Young noted that interest is bound to grow in the topic as the work progresses and he asked if more volunteers will also follow. Jim mentioned that we will need to clearly define the commitment and the tasks involved for each call for assistance. Kirk­Evan Billet noted that we should define commitments on two levels: by who is available to be approached on a small task, and what abilities are needed for each small task.

5. Beth asked if the CMC group had any thoughts on desired qualities and skills. Nancy, Jim, and Kimmy said that it depends on the task and that public service librarians may be needed occasionally. Beth concurred and said that they may have ideas but not be prescriptive. Beth said that we should assemble a pool of interested people working on BIBFRAME and linked data, and that that group should be not just CMC and technical services people. Nancy suggested that we put use cases front and center to entice people to work on the projects. Tracey asked who should be responsible for drafting the report, and Nancy replied that the grant group will be responsible for it. Jean Harden said that reference librarians would be good coming up with use cases, but warned against putting too much technical jargon in the call for participants, since it might deter public services colleagues from participating. She suggested that Maristella Feustle and other archivists might be great people to start working with. Nancy also suggested working with members of the Emerging Technologies Committee as well.

V. New CMC organization

A. Recapofthefirstyear

1. Beth said that the committee structure of the CMC changed from the last year: in addition to the name change from the Bibliographic Control Committee to the Cataloging and Metadata Committee, the CMC went down to three subcommittees and began using tasks groups within subcommittees to accomplish the necessary work. She wished to know if anyone had comments, questions, or suggestions, and she wanted to know what everyone thought of the new structure so far.

B. Comments, questions, suggestions

1. Reed David said that he enjoys the task group model and that it’s given
him a good place to jump in to CMC work. Mark Scharff noted that adjusting to the coverage areas of the subcommittees has been a little more challenging since it’s a new structure. Casey Mullin said that the structure is flexible but seems to get things done well.

2. Jim Soe Nyun observed that some areas (like MARC) that we thought would be phasing out continued to remain active, and as a consequence we need to prioritize what we need to take on. Beth responded that for the Encoding Standards Subcommittee, it’s especially tricky because the group gets pulled in a lot of different directions.

3. Tracey Snyder noted that the MLA RDA Best Practices are a lot of work, and said that Mary might change things up and/or put some thought into more evenly distributing the workload. Some of the coming tasks will involve collaborations with other subcommittees and other committees as well. Some things lend themselves well to discrete tasks but other things might be needed as well. Casey and Tracey agreed that the ultimate responsibility for each task needs to still remain in one group.

4. Mary Huismann thought that the new structure worked well and people are more invested when they contribute in areas that are strong points. Jean Harden said that it’s useful to have tasks that can be signed up when you have the time at work on them. Jim Soe Nyun added that the clearly ­defined deadlines and tasks are helpful for committee members to allow them to plan and budget their time. Casey said that he thought that delegating tasks was a really great success, and Tracey concurred. Nancy Lorimer added that subcommittee members are much more engaged when given authority to work on special things. This allows individual members to feel like they have more of a stake in the project’s success. Kimmy Szeto added that committee members can also recruit others to join in when certain tasks require it.

VI. Genre and medium conversion update

A. The subcommittee has been working with Gary Strawn to create a machine derivation process similar to that which was used to convert the authority file to RDA. Work started with the former Subject Access Subcommittee, and continued under the Vocabularies Subcommittee to create a polished algorithm. Work has been dormant since then, but will be a priority in the upcoming year. The group that will do this work might be a working group (in the new sense) and include participants from different subcommittees. Casey is interested in redefining the project to move away from the term “conversion”, toward something more like “generation”. The work is focused on deriving new genre and medium terms from existing subject headings, and the name will be tinkered with to reflect that reality.

B. Regarding the whitepaper to PCC on genre/medium generation, Casey noted that ALA is now interested in taking on this topic, which will give the effort more weight and broader support. MLA can be part of this effort. Casey also noted that the idea of an MLA white paper was dropped, because the project is growing beyond MLA to include many more constituents. Beth Iseminger noted that there will be a lot more interest and a lot more weight to this project if more organizations are involved (MLA, ALA, PCC, LC, OLAC, etc.) Hopefully with this much involvement, OCLC will be strongly influenced to participate. Jay Weitz noted that this project will be a good one to work with, because if you can make this project work for music data, you can make it work for any other kind of data.

C. Casey suspected that in not­ too ­distant future, this group will be formalized into a working group and this project will probably need more people to come in and out to accomplish specific tasks, such as figure out how to map from one vocabulary to another. Will this group be a Working Group or a Task Force? The CMC will need to decide at some point.

VII. Programs and training

A. ProgramsforMLA2017inOrlando

1. Beth Iseminger asked for ideas for next year’s program and training sessions, bearing in mind that the “theme” of next year’s meeting in Orlando is outreach to IAML regional members.

a. One idea is a program similar to the Linked Data for Performed Music program, which ties into the grant­ sponsored activities.

b. Kathy Glennan had enthusiastic responses for her Lenny­athon RIMMF program on Saturday morning, and others in CMC agreed a RIMMF preconference might be a good idea for the Orlando meeting. MLA members would need to put on the preconference themselves, since the speaking fee for Deborah Fritz (the person behind RIMMF) is beyond what MLA could possibly cover. Kathy would be happy to be involved with such a pre­conference program and coordinating the efforts. Kathy Glennan suggested that the CMC keep the model of AL Live, which usually involve talking heads instead of training, as a different way to develop content.

c. Elizabeth Cribbs suggested that a program focusing on FRBR­LRM might be a good training opportunity, and Kathy noted that since it’s an international standard, the topic would fit well with the international “theme” of the Orlando meeting.

B. Other training opportunities

1. Ideas for webinars, and/or screencasts.

a. One idea suggested was a “round robin” webinar of updates, or other special topics, which could function as a midyear Town hall.

b. Issues involved with cataloging librettos would be a good topic for a webinar, and Morris Levy volunteered to do such a webinar with Valerie Weinberg.

c. Another webinar topic might be creating archival metadata, which could be presented by the Archives Committee and/or CMC.
At 2:45 pm, outgoing CMC chair Beth Iseminger was thanked and applauded for her service, and the Committee went into executive session to discuss the committee handbook and subcommittee appointments.