Annual Report, July 1, 2018-June 30, 2019
Submitted by: Mary Huismann, Chair
Group Name: Content Standards Subcommittee
Special Offices: ALA ALCTS Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access (CC:DA) Liaison, ALA ALCTS/LITA Authority Control Interest Group Liaison
- Mary Huismann, Chair (2020)
- Benjamin Barba (2022)
- Kristi Bergland (2021)
- Janice Bunker (2022)
- Ann Churukian (2020)
- Patty Falk (2020)
- Monica Figueroa (2021)
- Ivan Kaproth-Joslin (2023)
- Kevin Kishimoto (2020)
- Keith Knop (2023)
- Peter Lisius (2019)
- Anna Alfeld LoPrete (2020)
- Rick McRae (2020)
- Jennifer Olson (2019)
- Charles Peters (2023)
- Shelley Rogers (2020)
- Hannah Spence (2023)
- Michelle Urberg (2021)
- Linda Blair (BIBCO Music Funnel Coordinator)
- Mark Scharff (NACO-Music Project Coordinator)
- Christopher Holden (LC)
- Jay Weitz (OCLC)
- Perform a comprehensive review of the RDA Best Practices while the RDA Toolkit content is frozen. (Goal areas: Education, Value of the Profession)
- A list of revisions was gathered through a review of the existing RDA Best Practices
- Gaps regarding authority-related topics in the RDA Best Practices were identified
- The Supplements Review task group reviewed revisions of the MLA RDA Best Practices Supplement documents
- Revise the RDA Best Practices as required for the RDA Toolkit Restructure and Redesign (3R) Project once the guidance and files are received from ALA Publishing. (Goal areas: Education, Value of the Profession)
- Anticipated work on the MLA RDA Best Practices has been delayed. Though as table English language RDA text has been issued, per ALA Publishing we will need to wait for policy statement guidelines before we can proceed with revision of RDA Best Practices content.
- Reviewed suggestions received via the RDA Best Practices form found on the CMC FAQ webpage
- Work collaboratively with LC, RMWG, OLAC, and others to provide input and/or revisions to RDA proposals, LC-PCC Policy Statements, and other documents. (Goal areas: Education, Value of the Profession)
- Work on RDA revision proposals and LC-PCC Policy Statements will resume once revision proposal procedures are finalized and policy statement work resumes.
- RSC Music Working Group (RMWG): Mary Huismann and Kevin Kishimoto served as members until this group was discharged in January 2019.
- NACO-Music Project Advisory Committee (NMPAC): Mary Huismann serves as chair of this group.
- Joint MLA/OLAC33X/34X Task Group: Clarification for the Joint MLA/OLAC 33X/34X task group recommendations were issued in September 2018, posted to the CMC blog and published in the Music Cataloging Bulletin. The Chair led the joint task group.
- Music Discovery Requirements: Michelle Urberg is the CSS representative for ongoing revision recommendations.
- Joint MLA/OLAC Task Group for Single-Use Media: Kristi Bergland and Mary Huismann serve on this group that will provide a set of best practices for RDA cataloging of single-use media (e.g., Playaways, WonderBooks, USB, etc.); this group is the successor to the joint Task Force for Playaways, etc.
- ALCTS CC:DA 3R Task Force: Mary Huismann serves on this group whose tasks have entailed review of the beta RDA Toolkit and providing assistance as requested by the North American RDA Committee (NARDAC).
- The RDA/MARC Task Group: This group was formed to explore the new RDA text (“RDA 2019 revision”) in the beta Toolkit and determine what MARC changes may be needed, from a music perspective. Membership of this group, chaired by CSS member Keith Knop, includes representatives from both the Content Standards and Encoding Standards Subcommittees. This work will support the ESS chair in representing the music community on a new MARC/RDA Working Group convened by NDMSO
- Engage in webinars and other training opportunities as needed, especially for the finalized version of the new RDA Toolkit. (Goal areas: Education, Value of the Profession)
- Linda Blair and Mary Huismann presented the webinar “Music Cataloging Basics,” a 90-minute workshop, on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 for MLA/ALA Editions.
- Mary Huismann participated in ALA RDA pre-conferences regarding the beta Toolkit development and use.
Additional activities undertaken this year
Mary Huismann served as liaison to ALA/ALCTS/CC:DA (Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access), ALA ALCTS/LITA Authority Control Interest Group Liaison, and Online Audiovisual Catalogers Inc.
Cataloging Policy Committee (OLAC CAPC) Liaison, representing MLA at ALA Midwinter and Annual. Reports from these meetings were posted to the CMC blog and published in the Music Cataloging Bulletin.
- Manage the chair transition that will take place following the MLA 2020 meeting (Goal area: Organizational Excellence, Value of the Profession)
- Revise the RDA Best Practices as required for the RDA Toolkit Restructure and Redesign (3R) Project once the guidance and files are received from ALA Publishing (Goal areas: Education, Value of the Profession)
- Review and revise the Best Practices to conform to ALA Publishing guidelines for policy statements
- Ensure proper linking of existing Best Practices to the beta RDA text
- Review existing Best Practice examples for currency; revise or add examples as necessary
- Maintain a log of revisions to the Best Practices
- Propose new Best Practices as needed
- Work collaboratively with LC, OLAC, and others to provide input and/or revisions to RDA proposals, LC- PCC Policy Statements, and other documents relevant to music cataloging (Goal areas: Education, Value of the Profession; FY 2019-2020 Action: Engage with Other Fine Arts Professional Organizations to Pursue Collaborations for Meetings, Education, and Advocacy)
- Provide leadership for RDA-focused training opportunities (e.g., MLA-sponsored webinars, conference presentations, etc.) (Goal area: Education, Technology, Value of the Profession)