Content Standards Subcommittee Report: MLA 2016

Content Standards Subcommittee Business Meeting
Saturday, March 5, 2016, Cincinnati, Ohio

Members present: Tracey Snyder (chair), Elizabeth Hille Cribbs, Jean Harden, Beth Hobart, Mary Huismann, Damian Iseminger, Morris Levy, Steve Mantz, Jennifer Olson, Charles Peters, Ray Schmidt, Tomoko Shibuya, Amy Strickland, Jay Weitz (OCLC Representative)

Members attending virtually: Sonia Archer-Capuzzo, Peter Lisius, Sophie Rondeau, Valerie Weinberg (LC Representative)

Members not present: Chris Diamond, Michi Hoban (LC Representative)

About the subcommittee

  • Introductions:
    CSS introductions were made around the table
    Mark Scharff (NMP Coordinator) and Linda Blair (BIBCO Music Funnel Coordinator) are ex officio CSS members
  • Formed in 2015
  • Merger of two former subcommittees—Descriptive Cataloging Subcommittee and Authorities Subcommittee
  • Task groups carry out work

Membership

  • Welcome new members (Mary, Peter, Jennifer, Sophie)
  • Thank outgoing members (Elizabeth, Jean, Beth, Steve, Chuck, Ray, Amy)
  • Applications due to subcommittee chairs Saturday 11 AM
  • Mary will be the new chair of CSS
  • Tracey will be the new chair of CMC

Communication

Education

  • RDA online courses (Sonia)
  • Music cataloging webinar (Sonia, Mary)
  • Music cataloging workshop (Jean)
  • Music cataloging book (Jean)
    Jean’s book manuscript is due this summer and hopefully will be published by AR Editions in time for MLA 2017
  • Speakers at MLA 2016: (Beth, Chuck, Morris, Tomoko)
  • RDA webinar (Elizabeth)

Future webinars and screencasts

Screencasts
  • Informal screencasts (Jing) for “how-to’s” (little things it’s easier to see than explain)
  • Vimeo page (MLA; contact Katie Buehner)
  • Possibly advertise Jean’s book, electronic documents (Chuck)
Webinars
  • Possible topics
    Librettos (Morris, Valerie)
    Round-robin update from previous webinars (a “mid-year Town Hall”)
  • American Libraries Live (Kathy Glennan explained her participation in one of these sessions moderated by Dan Freeman)
    Chat and Twitter are monitored throughout by the moderator so session is very interactive
    Could partner with ALA Editions or pursue on own

Finite projects

DCRM(M) review

  • Several CSS members reviewed the draft and gave input via CC:DA task force
  • Nancy Lorimer reported that the text went to the RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee for final proofing with a deadline of February 19 (but deadline not met). Only half a page of comments were received, and once Nancy finishes her review the document is finished. All bodies (RBMS, MLA and their respective committees) need to approve. The document will then be available as a PDF on the RBMS website (free) and Catalogers Desktop. Although the document is AACR2-based, it may be used with RDA.

OLAC RDA Playaways guide

  • Jennifer provided an update on the group’s progress. It is hoped that a major portion of the document will be available by ALA 2016 with the entire guide ready for community comment by ALA Midwinter 2017.

MARC 008/20 (Format of music) discussion

  • This discussion was covered in the ESS meeting; Chuck served on the group writing the MAC paper

Hungarian string quartets—input on preferred titles for Vocabularies Subcommittee

  • CSS was asked to provide input on whether and how the types of compositions document should be revised to include an entry for “negyes” – which doesn’t quite fit the cognate definition (but whose source of information had a German cognate). The decision was to add it as a type but only use it in a preferred title for a work when “quartet” or its cognates do not appear on resources or in reference sources.
  • Question: does this set a precedent, or an “end-run” around the rules? Carefully considering each on a case-by-case basis would prevent setting a precedent. However, there are potentially many more of these problems lurking with Eastern European music.
  • Kathy noted that a 2015 RDA revision proposal treats this topic and will support using terms for types of composition from the language of the cataloging agency in preferred titles as of the April Toolkit update. Best Practices will need to address this issue in consultation with VS

Resources

  • OLAC RDA DVD/Blu-ray guide
  • OLAC RDA streaming media guide
  • PCC SCT RDA sample records
    Record set recently updated
  • Gary Strawn’s authorities toolkit
    Note: this would be a good screencast topic! (break into chunks by topic, basic or advanced, 5 minutes or less)

ALA/CC:DA news

Tracey’s notes on CMC blog

BIBFRAME pilot at LC (Valerie)

  • The pilot ends in a few weeks, then will move into phase 2.
  • “Lots of sand in the sandbox”
  • Waiting to hear from the LD4P folks about the grant

Authorities Phase 3B (final phase of conversion of the NAF to RDA)

  • postponed pending a test of the process
  • NARs will be recoded to RDA if 1XX does not have any RDA-contrary elements
  • ISNIs will be added in 024

RDA governance and RSC representation (Kathy)

  • Need to create a new North American model, which will add a level of hierarchy
  • Probably will include representatives from the former JSC constituencies plus the national library in Québec; specialist members may be brought in as needed
  • Specialist work will be done by working groups (like the Music Working Group)
  • Mexico will be in the Latin American group
  • The new organization should be in place by 2019

FRBR-LRM (Kathy)

  • comments are due in short order
  • we should focus on treatment of aggregates, popular music responsibilities, challenges with fictitious responsibilities (e.g., Camilla and the Chickens – a fictitious group, not capable of creation)
  • Suggestion: become familiar with FRBRoo to help with creating use cases for aggregates (also CIDOC CRM)

RDA revision proposals (ALA/CC:DA and JSC)

Sources of SORs

  • Title page information is privileged; can’t scrap this for fuller information elsewhere

Recording Relationships

  • Amy and Chris served on the task force
  • dealt with “contained in” and “container of” relationship structured descriptions (deferred)
  • dealt with recording extent of resources consisting of more than one carrier type (i.e., accompanying material) (rejected but ALA and CCC will resolve the issues)

Machine-Actionable Data

  • Mark was on the task force that produced a massive discussion paper on extent of carrier and extent of content
  • RSC will task a new group to carry on this work
  • RSC acknowledged that RDA needs to support both machine-actionable and human-readable data in RDA chapter 3

Aggregates

  • Valerie is on this task force
  • investigations will continue

Fictitious, pseudonymous, and nonhuman entities

  • Mark serves on this task force
  • Fictitious, nonhuman entities embraced after RDA allowed them but FRBR-LRM is swinging the pendulum away; discussion paper was rejected by RSC
  • Note that RSC is heavily aligned with CIDOC (museum community that deals with “real world” objects and whose world view does not include these entities)
  • Does NOT include pseudonyms
  • Our ultimate task is to connect the “nomen” to the resource, regardless of what happens in the “back room” (i.e., Wizard of Oz magic aka linked data)

RDA revision proposals (JMWG/RMWG)

  • 6.14 Title
  • 6.15 Medium of Performance
  • 6.16 Numeric Designation
  • 6.28 AAPs
    Damian will provide a blog post outlining these proposals

RDA relationship designators

JSC/RSC announced moratorium

  • This was not anticipated!
  • Terms in the works were allowed to continue

Finalizing set of in-process proposals (DJ, music producer, etc.)

  • MLA/OLAC group led by Amy worked on defining the terms, producing use cases

Ideas for after the moratorium (cover artist, associated recording artist, musical artist, etc.)

  • Ensemble director (requested by Chuck, for local ensemble where director is not necessarily the conductor; there’s a relationship between person/performance not just person/group)
  • Minor revision proposals can still go through for April; when the list is finalized it will be submitted to the RSC for the August update
  • We are encouraged to continue development of new terms but we just can’t submit them at this time

LC-PCC Policy Statements

  • 6.27.1.9 — Meistersinger (Libretto) AAP
    reinstates AACR2 practice
  • 6.27.4.4 — Blue shades (Compilation) VAP
    VAP with the same title as the work in a collection; add “compilation” as qualifier to distinguish
  • 6.28.3 — Order of expression elements in AAP
  • 6.14.2.5.2.1 — Duet(s) for Duo(s) in preferred title
    continues current practice

RDA Best Practices

RDA Toolkit

  • Tracey thanked everyone for their work on Best Practices maintenance, but particularly Casey Mullin (Supplements editing) and Elizabeth (Toolkit editing)

Supplements on CMC website

  • URL for supplements will be changing with August Toolkit update
  • Most current version of the Supplements on the CMC website

Timeline for edits/updates

  • Updated quarterly
  • April update contains the RSC-approved revisions; CSS decision to use August update for the Best Practices reaction to these
  • April RSC revisions due to the strict editing deadlines

Summaries of updates on CMC blog

  • A blog post outlining the changes is made for each Best Practices update

Chapters 9-11 (persons, families, corporate bodies)

  • Suggestion to provide guidance for creating authority records (standard terms for 372, 374, etc.); add use cases to the wiki

Popular music (AAPs)

  • Lively discussion!
  • Tracey has forwarded the article that she and Kevin Kishimoto wrote (http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01639374.2015.1105898 or https://ecommons.cornell.edu/handle/1813/41641) to Gordon Dunsire (RSC chair) who indicated his unofficial support (nothing in FRBR-LRM prevents any of the positions in the article)
  • Validity of using Best Practices to codify AAP practice versus an LC-PCC PS?
  • Proposal won’t take any more time to do than what we are currently doing under RDA; will save time and reduce cataloger burden
    Songwriter versus Composer – song-level versus album level – composition versus transcription of performance
  • Keep in mind how other popular music resources operate (Discogs, AllMusic, Amazon, etc.) – this is what users expect library sources to be like
  • Must keep in mind RDA’s international audience
  • What exactly constitutes popular music? Does it include world music? Popular music of much earlier eras?
  • MARC issues (130) to resolve – is this just a shortcut way to avoid 130s?
  • Conversation needs to continue!

Respectfully submitted,
Mary Huismann and Tracey Snyder