List of resources related to metadata, including how to select a metadata schema, as well as information on how to start a digital collection.
Organizations the provide guidelines for music and audio metadata
- Glossary of Metadata Standards by Jenn Riley
- Guidelines on the Production and Preservation of Digital Audio Objects, 2nd ed., edited by Bradley International Association of Sound and Audio Visual Archives, 2009
- Metadata for Phonograph Records: Facilitating New Forms of Use and Access to Analog Sound Recordings” by Catherine Lai, Ichiro Fujinaga, and Cynthia A. Leive
- Metadata Standards and Guidelines Relevant to Digital Audio, ALCTS PARS (Preservation and Reformatting Section)
Music Discovery Resources
- MLA Music Discovery Requirements Document Group, 2012
- Sound Directions by Mike Casey and Bruce Gordon, Indiana University and Harvard University, 2007
- The State of Recorded Sound Preservation in the United States: A National Legacy at Risk in the Digital Age, Council on Library and Information Resources and the Library of Congress, August 2010
- Alvarez, M. (2009). Metadata in the music file world. Pacific Northwest Library Association Quarterly, 73(3), 7-12.
- Damm, D., Fremerey, C., Thomas, V., Clausen, M., Kurth, F., & Müller, Meinard. (2012). A digital library framework for heterogeneous music collections: From document acquisition to cross-modal interaction.International Journal on Digital Libraries, 12(2/3), 53-71.
- Madalli, Devika P., B. Preedip Balaji, and Amit Kumar Sarangi. “Faceted Ontological Representation for a Music Domain.” Knowledge Organization 42, no. 1 (February 2015): 8-24. Computers & Applied Sciences Complete, EBSCOhost (accessed March 5, 2016).
- McCourt, T. (2005). Collecting music in the digital realm. Popular Music and Society, 28(2), 249-252.
- Olson, D. (2009). Metadata: A primer for indexers. Key Words, 17(1), 18-20.
- Papadakis, J, & Douligeris. (2001). Design and architecture of a digital music library on the Web. New Review of Hypermedia & Multimedia, 7, 115-126.
- Park, J., Tosaka, Y., Maszaros, S., & Lu, C. (2010). From metadata creation to metadata quality control: Continuing education needs among cataloging and metadata professionals. Journal of Education for Library and Information Science, 51(3), 158-176.
- Park, J., & Tosaka, Y. (2010). Metadata creation practices in digital repositories and collections: Schemata, selection criteria, and interoperability. Information Technology and Libraries, 29(3), 104-116.
- Riley, J, & Dalmau, M. (2007). Developing a flexible metadata model for the description and discovery of sheet music. Electronic Library, 25(2), 132-147.